Salk Lake City, UT
Resources at the Family History Center
- Genealogists can visit the FamilySearch website from any computer, tablet or cell phone anywhere in the world. We just happened to access it from the Center.
- To explore the worldwide tree, visitors must have an account
- The account is free. I did not think it was particularly invasive about the information it collects: first & last names and date of birth.
- I created my personal account years ago.
- Once logged in, the visitor can create an entry point to the worldwide tree that starts with themselves
- Visitors can enter their parents' names, and the website search engine will connect the rest of the worldwide tree.at the point of the first deceased ancestor
- Anyone can see any other person that is deceased.
- No one can see information about a person who is alive unless you entered the record.
- The worldwide tree is collaborative, and you are encouraged to discuss anything anyone else added to your tree. FamilySearch does have a super-administrator that can be contacted to arbitrate disagreements.
Brick Walls, Rabbit Holes,
and Bright Shiney Objects (BSOs)
Genealogy Rule of Thumb
by Larry Nerge
Estimates & Assumptions:
- When building your tree, always add a birthdate and marriage date, even if unknown
- Use "about" in front of year when estimating
- Assume wife is 3 years young than husband and 20 years old for 1st marriage
- If wife's maiden name is not known, use "unknown"
- Add wife's married name as an alternative name
- First child will be born 1 ear after marriage
- Each subsequent child will be born at 2-year intervals
- Children will have surname of thater, Unells step or foster
- Deceased if over 110 years - use "deceased" if death date not known
Common Sense Validation Criteria:
- Women over 50 will not give birth
- Allow at least 6 months between births
- Woman should be at least 16 years old when married
- Unlikely child's parents are younger than 12
- Only one spouse at a time
- Birth must occur before Christening/Baby Baptism
- Death must occur before burial
- Heinrich himself
- Birth: 1900 (already known)
- Death: unknown, but we can assume he is deceased because his birthday was more than 110 years ago
- Abt 1899 - One year before Henrich was born
- Mother: Mary Unknown
- Birth Abt1879 - She was 20 years old when she married (1899-20)
- Death "deceased" - she was born more than 110 years ago
- Gender Male
- Alternate names: Mary Wille
- Father: Friedrich Wille (already known)
- Birth: Abt 1876 - He was 3 years older than his wife
- Death "deceased" - he was born more than 110 years ago
- Gender Female
- Alternate names: Fred Wille
- Sibling: Sarah Wille
- Birth 1902 - assumed 2 years after Heinrich
- Death "deceased" - born more than 110 years ago
- Gender Female
Rick's Brick Wall
FamilySearch-dot-org is a great place to put information about your ancestors. I like that it is a single, worldwide tree. It is a collaborative project. I can contribute to it, and I can see what other people add along with their thought processes, conclusions, and documentation.
- Family History Center - Seminole FL
- 9001 106th Avenue, Largo Florida
- Hours: Tuesday: 10-6; Thursday: 10-9; Saturday: 10-4 | Closed Holidays
- The Center does not have a direct phone number, but can be reached via email: FL_StPetersburg@FamilyHistorymail.org
- Family History Library - Salt Lake City UT
- Family Search Website - LDS Genealogy Website